Client: Hospital in New York
A large not-for-profit hospital was looking for a Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) and Flexible Spending Account (FSA) solution that would encourage employees to complete a wellness assessment and to select the hospital’s intra-system service providers as their first choice for care. They were also interested in an FSA debit card solution for out-of-pocket expenses.
The Lifetime Benefit Solutions team of benefit design experts worked closely with the client to develop a customized program with incentives designed to achieve the organization’s benefit plan goals. Lifetime Benefit Solutions:
- Tapped the team of wellness experts at Lifetime Benefit Solutions parent company, Excellus BlueCross BlueShield, to develop a corporate wellness program for the hospital.
- Structured “two buckets” for HRA funding, one that employees could use for intra-system hospital providers and another for non-hospital provider expenses.
- Increased HRA funding for the intra-system bucket of HRA funds for completion of the wellness assessment as an incentive for utilizing the hospital’s providers and keeping the funds spent of employee health care “in-house”.
- Set up automatic claims transfer for reimbursements for medical expenses and vision expenses covered under the health plan.
- Created the ability for prescription and other expenses not covered by the health plan to be paid for with a debit card at the point of sale.
Innovations to improve outcomes and control costs – including HRA and FSA capabilities, workplace wellness options and wellness products – allowed Lifetime Benefit Solutions to meet the benefit plan design needs and goals for the hospital and its employees.
- In the first year of the program, the hospital saw a significant increase in the number of employees that qualified for increased HRA funds by completing the wellness assessment.
- The HRA “bucket” that funded payment for services the intra-system providers paid 37% more in claims than the HRA “bucket” that included non-hospital providers, thereby keeping more of the HRA funds used for employee health care “in-house.”
- Employees benefitted from the convenience of having the automatic claims transfer process, which eliminated the need for them to manually file for reimbursement and wait for payment. Lifetime Benefit Solutions received claims directly from its insurance affiliate and automatically sent the reimbursement to the employee.
- The new program provided seamless coordination of the HRA and FSA process. Once a claim is processed, the amount is automatically taken from the HRA until the funds are exhausted. At that point, the amount is taken automatically from the FSA.
“The convenience of this process was helpful and was the exactly the solution we were looking for,” said one representative.
To learn how we can save you time and money, email Deb Dobroski, Director – Sales & Account Management at Deb.Dobroski@LifetimeBenefitSolutions.com, or call 1-800 -356-1029